Game of Thrones: OpenAI’s
Timeline of OpenAI Leadership and Board Changes
- Mira Murati Informed: The night before the board meeting, Mira Murati is informed of the impending changes.
- 3:28 PM: OpenAI board fires CEO Sam Altman during a Google Meet, appointing CTO Mira Murati as interim CEO.
- Board Changes: Greg Brockman removed as chairman but remains President. He later resigns in response.
- Limited Communication: The board gives Microsoft a one-minute warning and keeps others, including employees, largely in the dark.
Over the Weekend
- Board Statement: The board explains their decision, citing a lack of confidence in Altman due to his communication style.
- Clashes and Concerns: Disputes between Altman and the board surface, including disagreements over company direction and safety concerns.
- Public Reaction: Widespread criticism from the tech community and OpenAI employees. Calls for Altman's return or to start a new company.
- Existential Risk Discussions: Focus on AI existential risk and the implications of OpenAI’s corporate structure.
Saturday and Sunday
- Ultimatums and Pressure: The board faces deadlines to resign and calls to reinstate Altman.
- Sam Altman's Visit: Altman visits OpenAI offices, indicating continued engagement.
- Board Resignation Talks: Discussions about board resignations and replacements, including legal considerations.
- 11:16 PM: Reports emerge about potential rehiring of Altman and Brockman, with the board seeking alternative CEO options.
- Early Hours: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella expresses ongoing support for OpenAI and announces a new partnership involving Altman and Brockman.
- 8:15 AM: Ilya Sutskever expresses regret over his role in the board's decisions.
- Stock Market Reaction: Microsoft stock stabilizes; no significant movements in related stocks.
- OpenAI Board attempts to merge business unit with Anthropic, but are rejected
- Employee Ultimatum: Majority of OpenAI employees sign a letter threatening to move to Microsoft’s new subsidiary unless the board resigns and reinstates Altman and Brockman.
- Uncertainty and Speculation: Concerns about the future of OpenAI and its products, including ChatGPT.
- The situation remains fluid with potential for further changes and announcements.